The Fire Starter

Mariya keeping the family warm

Nearly everybody here uses wood to stay warm, cook and heat the boiler for hot water. We took turns cutting the logs to fit into our new wood burner.

Our lives at home revolve around the wood burner. The temperatures drop to zero at night. In the morning I wake up at 6am to start the fire so the living room warms up before Raphael and Mariya get out of bed. In the evening when we get back we leave Raphael with our neighbour Stoyanka to start the fire before he comes in.

Quote of the day:
"Don't take that newspaper it's not thick enough. This one burns better too, it's got oil from the coloured ink."

Mariya's the Gypsy queen. She can start a fire under any circumstances. With her hips or with a match she can set the place alight. But she doesn't like to get up early in the morning when it's cold. I'm an early bird so I don't mind. But I'm a city boy. I can flick a switch but I can't light a fire. The first days it took me sometimes 2 hours to get some smoke with no flames. So now I use firelighters. They never fail. If I had a flame-thrower I'd squirt a bit of kerosene in the corner of the room and set the place alight to save time.

It was the first proper exercise we did since we left London. We were so excited we cut down all the trees in the vacinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment