We have a cat

Miao (in Bulgarian)

I always promised Mariya that I wouldn't become like my mum and start feeding all the wildlife in the neighbourhood. My mother feeds the foxes, cats, dogs, pigeons and squirrels with organic food. They are so replenished that they never fight over food. She has the only back garden in London where cats, dogs and foxes queue up to eat each in turn. And the squirrels wait in the branches of the tree for the pigeons to finish their meal on the window ledge of the kitchen.

So the first few times this kitten turned up on our door step I kicked it around thinking it would get the messsage. No space for passengers. But it kept coming back and turning around my ankles as if I was a nice guy who was going to feed it. I kicked it and kicked it again but it came back. I have a few friends who are like that so I can relate to the psychology.

I eventually found a piece of creamy cheese that Mariya wasn't going to eat. Because she didn't know I was giving it to the cat. He didn't even eat it right away. He just wanted some huggies, a bit of human warmth.

Now I let him stride around my ankles a couple of times before kicking him again so he doesn't get too comfortable. I make sure he gets fresh warm milk and sometimes yoghurt with Volksbrot we still have from our trip through Germany. Don't worry mum, it's all organic and rich in fibres!

No comments:

Post a Comment